Hope everybody had a fabulous Valentines Day!! I celebrated mine with this wonderful Red Velvet Cake..... I couldn't think about any other cake on that day other than this special cake. Well, I have seen the pictures of the red velvet cake on a few blogs, but was quite skeptical to bake it as I was not sure as to how it tastes!! That's when I happened to stumble upon it a few months back in one of the restaurants in my locality..... I immediately ordered and we-me and hubby loved it instantly.....Since then I have been waiting for Feb 14...... Meanwhile, I searched for a good recipe for the cake and found many, but I was quite impressed with the one on Cook's Joy......
Recipe Adapted from: Cooks Joy
All purpose flour - 2 1/2 cups
Sugar - 1 1/2 cups
Salt - 1 tsp
Unsweetened cocoa powder - 2 tbsps
Red food coloring - 1-2 oz
Unsalted butter - 1/2 cup @ room temp
Eggs - 2 @ room temp
Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
*Buttermilk substitute - 1 cup @ room temp
White vinegar - 1 tsp
Baking soda - 1 tsp
*For buttermilk substitute :- 1 tbsp vinegar + almost 1 cup milk. To the milk, add vinegar and mix to combine. Set aside for 5-10 mins.
- Take cocoa and red food coloring in a bowl. Mix well to form a paste. It takes some time for them to mix, so keep mixing with a spoon. The amount of color used depends on how much color you prefer for the cake.
- Grease and flour 2 9" cake pans.
- To the sifted flour, add salt and keep aside.
- Take butter and sugar in a bowl. Beat well until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time and mix well.
- Add vanilla essence and mix well.
- Add the food coloring and cocoa mixture. Beat well.
- Now add 1/3 of the dry ingredients and beat.
- Add half of the buttermilk substitute and beat well.
- Beat in 1/3 of the flour mixture, followed by the remaining buttermilk and then beat in the remaining 1/3 of the flour mix.
- Mix the baking soda and vinegar. It will sizzle. Add this to the batter and mix well.
- Immediately, distribute evenly the cake batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake in a 180 C preheated oven for 25-30 mins or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- After the cakes have cooled completely, apply the frosting
Cream Cheese Frosting
Cream cheese - 16 oz
Unsalted butter, softened - 1/2 cup
Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
Powdered sugar, sifted - 2 1/2 cups
Pinch of salt.
- Take cream cheese and butter in a bowl. Beat well until it is smooth.
- Add powdered sugar, vanilla essence and salt. Beat until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Frosting is ready for the cake.
Cake decorations are never my cup of tea.... Though I have ideas for decor, when it comes to decorating I fail miserably..... Same with this cake decor too.... Had so many ideas in the head, but when it came to real time decor, it looked childish!!! I was never confident in showing the whole cake decor, thanks to my friend (and cake guru) in Dubai, who gave me the confidence to show the cake and so here it is!!
Though the decorations were a failure, the cake was a super-hit at home and among my friends!!!