The ingredients used are the same as mentioned in my previous post of Candy Cane Cookies. Even the method is same, except for the rolling of the dough. So, to roll out the pinwheel logs, here are the steps:
- After the dough is refrigerated, take it out. If the dough is too hard, let it stand at room temperature for a few minutes, before rolling.
- Place the red dough on a butter paper. Place another butter paper on the top and roll out into a rectangle shape.
- Repeat the above step with the green dough.
- Place the doughs in the refrigerator along with the butter paper, for about 15 minutes.
- To shape the cookies, remove the doughs from the refrigerator and peel off the top sheet of butter paper from each.
- Invert the red dough over the green (or vice-versa), taking care to align the two layers as evenly as possible (if, not trim the edges).
- Using a rolling pin, gently roll over the dough to seal the layers together. Peel off the top layer of the butter paper.
- Starting with the edge of the dough closest to you, carefully curl the edges of the dough away from you, same as in swiss roll.
- With the help of the butter paper, continue rolling the dough into a tight cylinder. Then roll it back and forth on the counter to slightly elongate it.
- Transfer the log to a plastic wrap and refrigerate it until firm enough to slice.
- Once firm, slice the dough into rounds.
- Keep the rounds on a baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Bake it in a preheated oven at 190 C for about 12 minutes or until firm.
- Let the baked cookies cool on the tray for 5 minutes and then remove.
- Let it cool completely and store in an airtight container.