Happy Valentine's Day
I had two cakes in my mind for baking on Valentine's Day - a Tiramisu Cake and a Strawberry Vanilla Cake. When I asked my Valentine, he preferred former. Unfortunately, I didnt have the mascarpone cheese. So decided to bake the latter....*smiles*...Afterall, it should be all red on Valentine rt??
Recipe Adapted from: Parita's World and Spicy Tasty
For the Cake
All purpose flour - 225gms
Condensed milk - 400 gms (1 tin)
Vanilla essence - 1 tsp
White unsalted butter - 125 gms
Baking powder - 1 tsp
Baking Soda - 1 tsp
Plain Soda - 200 ml
Heavy Whipping Cream - 400ml
Icing sugar - 1/2 cup
Pure vanilla essence - 1 tbsp
Gelatin - 2 tsp
Cold water - 8 tsp
For Sugar Syrup
Water - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 4 tbsps
Strawberry essence - 1 tsp
Preparing the Cake
- Preheat oven to 170 C.
- Sieve the flour, baking podwer and baking soda together and keep aside.
- Beat together the butter and condensed milk until light and fluffy for about 2-3 mins.
- Now spoon by spoon, add the flour mixture to the butter mixture along with little soda water and beat well. The mixture should be of thick pouring consistency. Do not use the entire soda if not required.
- Grease and flour baking pan. Pout the batter in the pan and bake for 30-45 mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Cool the cake completely. Run a knife along the pan and gently remove the cake from the tin. Let it set for atleast an hour before decorating.
- Whipping cream has to be chilled. Also chill the container and the whisker blade before whipping.
- To prepare the gelatin liquid, add 2tsp of gelatin to a sauce pan along with 8 tsp of cold water to form a paste. Mix well over medium heat till gelatin is completely dissolved. Cool it. Do not refrigerate, then it will set.
- Now pour the whipping cream and vanilla essence in the chilled container and start whipping the cream at low speed.
- Slowly add the gelatin liquid and beat at medium speed. Add icing sugar and beat at high speed till stiff peaks are formed when you lift the blade. Refrigerate.
- To prepare the sugar syrup, add 4 tbsps sugar in 1/2 cup water and heat over medium heat till the sugar dissolves completely. Once cooled, add the strawberry essence.
- Wrap the cake in a plastic sheet and freeze it for 4 mins. Cut it into 2-3 layers.
- Cut the strawberries into small pieces.
- Take the bottom layer of the cake and spread the sugar syrup on it. Then spread the whipped cream and place some cut strawberries on it.
- Now place the next layer of the cake and repeat the process.
- Spread the whipped cream all over the top and sides of the cake and even it out.
- Refrigerate it for 1/2 an hour and let it set.
- After 1/2 an hour, decorate the cake using your imagination.
- Refrigerate and serve chilled.